Sunday, April 25, 2010

Photographer Tip: Back Button Focus

So, one of the many things that we learned about at the MJ 2 Day was Back Button Focus. 

I knew about this before from reading an earlier blog post of Melissa's. I tried it out on my camera but was confused at what I was exactly supposed to do. So, I un-did it and went about shooting the "other" way, by holding down the shutter button half way to get my lens to focus. Well, during the workshop we discussed back button focusing further and Melissa showed us how it works. So I put my camera back to back button focus. 

Oh. My. Gosh.
Back Button Focus has 
changed. 
my. 
LIFE!
It is wonderful, and I really don't know why I didn't keep using it. But anyway, NOW I will keep using it :)

For a little 411 for everyone so they get the just of what back button focusing is about:
it is a function on SLR cameras that allows you to separate the shutter from the focus.
Which, is pretty cool because that means you can just keep shooting and focusing at the SAME TIME! or, if you want you can also use this to lock the focus to one spot. This can come in handy at receptions where you want to get shots of people that are all about the same distance away from you. To use back button focusing once you have set it up press the * button on the back of your camera!
ok...on to the instructions :)

FYI: I have a Canon Rebel XTI, if you need instructions for a Canon 5D Mark II or Nikon cameras click here



1. turn on your camera and hit the menu button
2. move over to the orange tools 2 menu
3. scroll down to Custom Functions and click on it
4. change the custom function to 04, click on that and it will bring you down to another menu
5. on the secondary menu change it from 0 (default) to 1
6. Exit out of the menu
7. Change your AF mode to AI SERVO, leave it here from now on!

The only other thing that I changed was the AF point selection, I leave it on manual so that I can change it on the go. 

Now start shooting! :D Remember to use the * button on the back of your camera to focus from now on!  It takes a little bit of getting used to, but after a little while you will get the hang of it!!!

Happy Shooting :D

Maggie

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails